Houston Car Accident Lawyer FAQs
Car accident victims are often left with many questions after experiencing such an unexpected, traumatic event. The list of questions can continue to grow as time progresses for those who have been involved in a serious accident that has left them with heavy financial burdens. Having some understanding of steps that should be taken in the event that one is involved in an accident can aid in getting a fair resolution in instances where one's accident may have been caused by the wrongful actions of others. The following are a few frequently asked questions that can help further one's understanding of how to deal with the aftermath of an auto accident.
- What is the first thing I should do after an accident? – In any accident, the first thing one should do is seek proper medical attention for injuries of drivers and passengers if needed. Some minor accidents may not require emergency medical care, and some symptoms of injuries do not surface until later. However, seeking medical assistance first is typically recommended after an accident, regardless of the severity.
- What information should I gather? – If possible one should gather contact and insurance information of the other driver or other persons involved, vehicle information of all involved, responding police officer's name and badge number, location of accident, and witness contact information. Much of the information needed should be contained in the police accident report.
- Should I take pictures at the scene? Yes, pictures can help identify the extent of the damage of vehicles as well as other factors that may be important to one's claim.
- What do I do if the wreck was my fault? Volunteering an opinion about fault is not recommended and could be hurtful for a potential claim in the long run, even if someone else is at fault in an accident. Cooperation with the police; however, is important.
- Do I need to hire a car accident lawyer? It may be in one's best interest to seek representation from an attorney if there are issues in dealing with an insurance provider, or whoever is liable for damages incurred due to an accident.
The Houston car accident attorneys of 1800-Car-Wreck Houston are available to answer your questions regarding your rights to personal injury compensation under the law. Contact Houston car wreck lawyers of our firm today to schedule a free consultation to discuss the legal merits of your case.